Just over one year ago, I decided to step out of my self-imposed, post-graduation, living-with-mom-and-dad bubble for a weekend and go on a camping trip with my young single adult ward. There was nothing particularly spectacular about it, and only a handful of people came, but going on that camping trip was one of the best decisions I ever made. That camping trip was where I met one of the best friends that I have ever had.
Kelsey Petersen.
I'm calling you out.
We became friends at a critical time in my life. A time when I was lost and confused. A time that was full of stress, anxiety, and depression. A time when I felt like I had very few people I could really talk to about the things that were weighing me down.
Kelsey kept me sane. She was there when I needed to complain. She is the reason I have way too much Ke$ha in my music library. She was my partner in crime. She understood my love of Korean things, and even started watching Korean dramas and listening to K-Pop with me. She was there when I needed to cry. She understood my frustration. She is the reason I have a strange attachment to all things Hello Kitty. She knew when to listen, and when to offer advice. She encouraged me to pursue my dreams.
I helped her dye her hair blue, she helped me dye mine purple. We made tutus and acted like 5 year-old's together. We went on biking adventures through hot red sand so that she could fly a kite for the first time. I drug her up Angel's Landing. She made me go to scary movies. We took spur of the moment trips to Las Vegas and my cabin and stayed up into the early morning hours. We talked about boys and music and life and heartbreak. In my family, she was the "other daughter" (but mostly because I think my dad kept forgetting her name).
And now I live in Korea, and she is entering the MTC on Wednesday to serve a mission for the LDS church. I couldn't let her go without telling her how grateful I am for her, and how proud I am of her, even if it sounds super cheesy. She is going to be a great missionary. The people of Birmingham Alabama are lucky to get her for the next 18 months.
So, in honor of her impending departure, I dedicate the following songs to her:
Kelsey Petersen.
I'm calling you out.
We became friends at a critical time in my life. A time when I was lost and confused. A time that was full of stress, anxiety, and depression. A time when I felt like I had very few people I could really talk to about the things that were weighing me down.
Kelsey kept me sane. She was there when I needed to complain. She is the reason I have way too much Ke$ha in my music library. She was my partner in crime. She understood my love of Korean things, and even started watching Korean dramas and listening to K-Pop with me. She was there when I needed to cry. She understood my frustration. She is the reason I have a strange attachment to all things Hello Kitty. She knew when to listen, and when to offer advice. She encouraged me to pursue my dreams.
I helped her dye her hair blue, she helped me dye mine purple. We made tutus and acted like 5 year-old's together. We went on biking adventures through hot red sand so that she could fly a kite for the first time. I drug her up Angel's Landing. She made me go to scary movies. We took spur of the moment trips to Las Vegas and my cabin and stayed up into the early morning hours. We talked about boys and music and life and heartbreak. In my family, she was the "other daughter" (but mostly because I think my dad kept forgetting her name).
And now I live in Korea, and she is entering the MTC on Wednesday to serve a mission for the LDS church. I couldn't let her go without telling her how grateful I am for her, and how proud I am of her, even if it sounds super cheesy. She is going to be a great missionary. The people of Birmingham Alabama are lucky to get her for the next 18 months.
So, in honor of her impending departure, I dedicate the following songs to her:
Because somehow this song almost always came on when we were in the car together. And I could text her "CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE nananana" and she knew exactly what I was talking about. And I miss that.
(Also, please don't judge me for really liking this song. There is something very cathartic about it when you're in a bad mood.)
And this because it makes her cry when she listens to it. And I think that's funny.
I love you, Kelsey! And give me your email address so I can write to you!





Comments
Post a Comment