Skip to main content

loving life

In case you were wondering, living in a foreign country, especially one that speaks a different language, is hard. Things like setting up a bank account and getting a cell phone would have been nearly impossible if not for my wonderful co-teachers. It's a strange feeling to be almost completely dependent on someone translating for you. I barely know how to say "excuse me" to someone on the bus (but no one really ever says anything on the bus, so it's ok). And don't get me started on grocery shopping. Oh, dear. Grocery shopping. Grab the things that look the most familiar and hand over your card when you're done.

But, despite how hard it is, it's fun. And exciting. And beautiful. And totally worth it. I have an indescribable feeling of  belonging, of being exactly where I'm supposed to be, even while being the odd one out. And it is amazingly wonderful.

Let me tell you why.

Yes, there is a language barrier. But most people are patient and will do their best to talk to you. The ajhumma at my building's convenience store will smile at me and ask me simple questions (in Korean usually). "Are you a student?" "Are you going to school today?" Even the shopkeeper at the local market I frequent recognizes me and says "hi" to me when I come in. And sometimes random men on the street will follow you and ask you for your phone number. Which is kind of creepy, but, boy, is it a boost to your confidence.

Technology is a lifesaver. I got a cellphone last, and it's quickly becoming my best friend. The ability to contact friends in Korea and the States, along with the translator app, bus schedule app, camera, etc., have made my Samsung Galaxy indispensable already. Not to mention, I've only wanted a Samsung Galaxy forever since every person in every Korean drama ever has one (or something close to that...). And where would I be without good ol' Macswell? Lost in translation. For sure. And yes, mom, I am alive and well. Don't worry too much.

Korea is beautiful. It's full of life and movement and excitement. There is something new to experience every day. New food to try, new people to meet. Yesterday at lunch, we had whole fried fish. Eyes and all. And I picked it apart with my chopsticks, and it was delicious. I eat ramyun in my apartment while watching Music Core, and I can't help but smile from the giddiness. I love simply walking down the street, taking in all the sights and smells. When I'm brave enough, or have a friend with me, I'll venture into a coffee shop (because there are a million of them) and try a new smoothie or dessert. And who could be unhappy when your walk to school everyday looks like this?


I never thought that I could enjoy teaching as much as I do. I love my co-workers. I love my students. It's just a whole bunch of love all around. I love the students who tell me they love me to try to get candy. I love the student who comes into class and says "Mighty fine afternoon, isn't it?"  I love the hello's in the hallway. I love the rowdy boys that sit in the back of the classroom, and the sound of feet running through the hallway. I love the girls who come to my office to chat. I love being at the front of the classroom. I love my school. 

Did I mention church yet? Because it's wonderful. As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon church) living in Utah, I think I very often took church granted. Now, living in Korea, I realize it's one of the biggest blessings in my life. Do you know how great it is to be able to go to a place where you feel like you absolutely and completely belong, even though you look different and speak a different language? That's what church is for me. It's a place where I know I am loved. A place where I have family when my real family is thousands of miles away from me. A place where I can worship with others who share my beliefs and standards. And it doesn't matter that I don't speak Korean, because gospel truths are true no matter what language they are taught in. And, I'm very lucky to have a few English speaking members in the ward who translate for me. :)

So, even though it's hard (and I'm sure there will be times when it's even harder), and I haven't been here very long, I wouldn't trade the experience I'm having in Korea for the world.  


*A side note for any who may be curious about the LDS (Mormon) church, you can find more info here: mormon.org










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a family legacy

I recently went on a teacher's trip with my school. (Basically, all the teachers get on a bus after the students leave, and we drive to a town two hours away to eat dinner, sing karaoke, stay the night, and maybe visit a museum. It's mostly an excuse for the teachers to get drunk together, but more about that in another post.) I was especially excited because we were going to a place that has been on my list of places to visit in Korea. Gunsan. Now, some might wonder why I would want to visit such a place. It's not very big or prominent. Chances are, if you don't live in Korea, you've probably never heard of it. But, to me, Gunsan is a special place. It's the place where I like to think the relationship between Korea and my family began. Gunsan is the place my grandpa was stationed during the Korean War. My Grandpa Willis was a cook in the army during the last 6 months of the Korean War. I also have two uncles and an aunt who lived in Korea as missio...

adventuring seoul

This last weekend, some friends and I decided that we needed a trip to Seoul. So, we packed our bags and hopped on a train Friday night to begin our adventure! We stayed at a hostel near Namsan Tower (which we unfortunately only saw from a distance during this trip), and ventured out from there. Saturday we spent at Lotte World, which is a giant indoor amusement park (our second choice of amusement parks, but Seoulland was out of the question when we woke up to rain). Our day was complete with rides, amusement park food, and animal ears. We stopped by the Seoul lantern festival before turning in at the end of our extremely fun, but extremely exhausting, day. Sunday we spent exploring. Gwanghwamun and Gyeongbok Palace were first on our list. And, I must say, I could spend forever exploring historical sites in Korea and never be bored. They are just so beautiful and so different from what we are used to in the States. I love the mix of traditional and modern that you find in Seoul....

before I die...

Today, while browsing various sources for a topic for my teacher's workshop class, I came across the following TED Talk. I used to have a small notebook I carried around with me that had a list of the things that I wanted to do in life. A "bucket list" of sorts. It somehow got lost in the shuffle of moving across the Pacific, and I hadn't thought much of it. But, after watching this video, I thought maybe it was time to re-evaluate the things I want to do before I die. Before I die, I want to... - Learn another language. - Stand at the top of the world's tallest building. - Fall in love. - Travel the world. - Buy something at Tiffany's. - Be a wife and mother. - Make a difference in someone's life. (There are many, many things I could add to this list. Meet a Korean celebrity, own a yellow mustang convertible, have my own personal library, learn to use the floor heating in my apartment...But I won't bore you with all of the wish...