You know when spring time comes around in Provo and it seems like everyone and their pet hamster is dating, and your refrigerator starts to fill up with wedding announcements, and you become painfully aware of your own singleness?
Korea is kind of like that. All the time. But without the wedding announcements. (Though enough of my English teacher friends seem to have been to weddings here...) In fact, I think the couple-iness of Korea is worse. Imagine awkwardly reserved PDA (because somehow it's a lot of PDA without actually being a lot of PDA), coupled with couple-y clothes and accessories. Matching sweaters, matching shoes, matching jackets, matching pants, matching phone charms, matching hats, and even matching sweat suits - chances are their underwear matches as well.
Added to all of this, I'm quite sure I have been told that I need a boyfriend/husband more in the last three months I have been in Korea than in the full three years I spent at BYU (the Mecca of Mormon Marriage).
You may think I'm exaggerating, but really. It's the truth.
When introducing yourself to your students (and many teachers), there is a 99% chance that one of the first three questions out of their mouths will be, "Do you have a boyfriend?" Ask any English teacher in Korea. Chances are, when you sit down for lunch in the cafeteria, your co-teachers will also point out the single male teachers to you.
On my first Sunday here, when I introduced myself in RS, one of the very first things they wanted to know about me was whether or not I had a boyfriend, which was promptly followed by, "Oh, we'll find you a Korean boyfriend!" Umm. Ok. Thanks.
I am also thoroughly convinced that one of my co-teachers is writing a list called "Reasons Amber Needs to Get Married," which she adds to on a weekly basis. So far, this list includes, but is not limited to:
- Amber's hands are always cold. If she got married, her hands would somehow magically become perpetually warm.
- Amber loves Korea. If she married a Korean man, she could stay for a long time.
- Amber cuts fruit well. Cutting fruit well is a sign that you will make a good wife, thus Amber is ready to get married.
And, on Friday, another co-teacher asked me what my plans for the weekend were, and when I told her I didn't really have any she told me I needed to "make a boyfriend." (Do you think I can find a "How to make a boyfriend out of mason jars and burlap" tutorial on Pinterest?)
I mean, let's just quickly sum up Amber's dating life, shall we?
No bitterness intended. I am simply stating the truth. In fact, most of the time I just laugh and joke with the people telling me I need a boyfriend. Because, really, I'm perfectly happy being single. I like sitting by myself in my apartment on Friday nights, watching hours of Korean dramas. I like going out with the girls and eating too much dessert. I like living by myself and only cooking or doing the dishes when I feel like it. I like that I have the opportunity to travel and see the world while I am young and unencumbered by commitments. I like the single life.
Sure, my heart explodes every time I see an adorable Korean child on the street, and I will forever find a man who loves children attractive. Sure, it might be nice to have a date to a movie and someone to hold my hand. Sure, all of the cute couples on the streets remind me of how painfully single I am. Sure, I want to get married and have children some day.
But, I'm just going to be happy with the situation I'm in now. I'm going to live life to the fullest and not care about what others think of me. I'm going to enjoy being single while I'm single.
Besides:
Korea is kind of like that. All the time. But without the wedding announcements. (Though enough of my English teacher friends seem to have been to weddings here...) In fact, I think the couple-iness of Korea is worse. Imagine awkwardly reserved PDA (because somehow it's a lot of PDA without actually being a lot of PDA), coupled with couple-y clothes and accessories. Matching sweaters, matching shoes, matching jackets, matching pants, matching phone charms, matching hats, and even matching sweat suits - chances are their underwear matches as well.
Added to all of this, I'm quite sure I have been told that I need a boyfriend/husband more in the last three months I have been in Korea than in the full three years I spent at BYU (the Mecca of Mormon Marriage).
You may think I'm exaggerating, but really. It's the truth.
When introducing yourself to your students (and many teachers), there is a 99% chance that one of the first three questions out of their mouths will be, "Do you have a boyfriend?" Ask any English teacher in Korea. Chances are, when you sit down for lunch in the cafeteria, your co-teachers will also point out the single male teachers to you.
On my first Sunday here, when I introduced myself in RS, one of the very first things they wanted to know about me was whether or not I had a boyfriend, which was promptly followed by, "Oh, we'll find you a Korean boyfriend!" Umm. Ok. Thanks.
I am also thoroughly convinced that one of my co-teachers is writing a list called "Reasons Amber Needs to Get Married," which she adds to on a weekly basis. So far, this list includes, but is not limited to:
- Amber's hands are always cold. If she got married, her hands would somehow magically become perpetually warm.
- Amber loves Korea. If she married a Korean man, she could stay for a long time.
- Amber cuts fruit well. Cutting fruit well is a sign that you will make a good wife, thus Amber is ready to get married.
And, on Friday, another co-teacher asked me what my plans for the weekend were, and when I told her I didn't really have any she told me I needed to "make a boyfriend." (Do you think I can find a "How to make a boyfriend out of mason jars and burlap" tutorial on Pinterest?)
Now, I know all of these wonderful, mother-like, Korean women in my life have the best of intentions, but I think they fail to realize a few things.
1. Amber is not nearly as attractive to single males in their 20s as they seem to think.
2. Amber has little to no ability when it comes to wooing the opposite sex.
3. Amber's dating pool is quite small: tall, attractive, English speaking, LDS men in their 20s are in short supply in Daejeon.
I mean, let's just quickly sum up Amber's dating life, shall we?
Sure, my heart explodes every time I see an adorable Korean child on the street, and I will forever find a man who loves children attractive. Sure, it might be nice to have a date to a movie and someone to hold my hand. Sure, all of the cute couples on the streets remind me of how painfully single I am. Sure, I want to get married and have children some day.
But, I'm just going to be happy with the situation I'm in now. I'm going to live life to the fullest and not care about what others think of me. I'm going to enjoy being single while I'm single.
Besides:





Comments
Post a Comment